The Foster Siblings Program is the main program of hoshiZora. Through this program, you can support the education and development of one (or more) underprivileged child in Indonesia.
In hoshiZora, the sponsor is called a Kakak Bintang (The Indonesian word “Kakak” means elder sibling, “Bintang” = star) and the child being supported is called an Adik Bintang (“Adik” means younger sibling).
A Kakak Bintang is a sponsor who supports his or her Adik Bintang’s education by providing funds over a predetermined period. The donation is used to pay his or her Adik Bintang’s educational expenses, such as school fees, training fees, uniform, shoes, books, etc. In addition to this financial support, hoshiZora also encourages the Kakak to interact and contribute to the social and mental development of the Adik.
- Donation: 100,000 IDR ( 12 USD or 1000 JPY)/month
- Donation period: minimum of a 1 year term
- Scholarship recipients: Students from kindergarten to high school
- This scholarship is awarded to Indonesian children that are highly motivated in their studies and have achieved highly in school, but unfortunately are not able to go to school due to financial difficulties. This donation is only used to help to pay the Adik Bintang’s educational expenses, school fees, training fees, uniforms, shoes and books,etc.
Kakak Bintangs are located not only in Indonesia, but all over the world such as in Japan, US, Canada, Germany, Australia, Korea, and France, etc.
It’s not only a scholarship! We monitor the academic performance of the Adik as well as his/her development. The Kakak is more than welcome to review the Adik Bintang’s development and communicate with the Adik he/she supports. hoshiZora acts as a bridge in the communication between the Kakak and the Adik through the regular letter writing program, video messages and even direct visits.
From our experience, motivational messages from Kakak are an important form of positive stimulation for the Adik. Many underprivileged children are motivated by knowing that people care about their development. This can spur them to try their best to study and struggle to make their dreams come true.
A proper education offers people extended knowledge and improved skills.
An education grants the ability to choose one’s future job and creates self-motivation and gives the productivity necessary to create a better life. Education breaks the poverty chain and eradicates social exclusion. It creates a better society.
Help Indonesian children achieve their goals…
Join us and Become a Kakak Bintang Today!
or read the details below (the content is the same as the PDF version):
* * *
Kakak Bintang HandBook
A. OverviewAt hoshiZora, we call you a Kakak Bintang or “Big Star Sibling”. Your sponsored child is called an Adik Bintang or Little Star Sibling. By joining this scholarship program you have agreed to support one or more Indonesian child. The children who you are supporting are carefully selected by our staff. The selection process involved an application form and school report screening, home visits to confirm the child’s financial situation, and interviews to assess their motivation. We match you with the Adik Bintang who best matches your request. Your relationship with your Adik Bintang will be for at least one year. This will ensure that your hoshiZora child can be assured of funding sufficient to complete one full school year.
B. Your Responsibilities as a Kakak Bintang
1. The monthly donation for one child is 100,000 rupiah / 1000 yen / US$12. Please note that your donation will partly be used for costs incurred in the Adik Bintang selection process, donation distribution costs, the hoshiZora Forum held twice a year, monitoring and mentoring (no more than 20% of your total donation).
2. You can transfer your donation to the hoshiZora account (see below) monthly / every 6 months / for one year/ or over a customized period based on your request before the 10th of the month (Please refer to section E regarding your Donation Payment).
3. At the end of your first year as a Kakak Bintang, your participation will be extended for another year automatically unless you send a confirmation email to firstname.lastname@example.org and state that you will not continue your donation.
4. We strongly encourage you to write (in the form of a letter, card, or email) to your Adik Bintang at least 2 times a year. Our scholarship program is not only focused on financial support but also on our children’s motivation and development. Your letters are an invaluable contributor to that.
5. We are delighted to facilitate communication via letter, email, or if you want to send a package to your Adik Bintang anytime (not limited to 2 times a year). However, please note that if your Adik Bintang is located outside Java Island, the process takes longer as it is handled by our volunteers in those areas.
6. We also facilitate meetings with your Adik Bintang anytime, not limited to during our formal forums or only 2 times a year (please refer to section D regarding visiting your Adik Bintang).
C. Your Rights as a Kakak Bintang
1. To have one or more Adik Bintang as you requested.
2. To receive a receipt for your donation.
3. To receive a Progress Report for your Adik Bintang every 6 months.
4. To receive the hoshiZora Foundation Activity and Financial Report every 6 months.
5. To receive letters from your Adik Bintang at least 2 times in a year.
6. To maintain communication with your Adik Bintang via letter, email, or other means of communication (please refer to section D regarding your communication with Adik Bintang).
D. Child Protection and Communication with Your Adik Bintang
The hoshiZora Foundation is committed to protecting our children from harm and to ensuring that children’s rights to protection are fully realized. We, including all the foundation’s staff, advisory board members, volunteers, and interns, operate based on the best interest of the children. We are also committed to making sure that our sponsors interact with our children on the same principle. Please note that any violation of Adik Bintang privacy, or evidence of inappropriate or unwelcome contact with an Adik Bintang may result in the dismissal of a Kakak Bintang from the program without refund. We appreciate your understanding of and cooperation with our commitment to protecting our Adik Bintang.
Please refer to this guideline when communicating/interacting/visiting your Adik Bintang.
1. Any communication to Adik Bintang must go through the hoshiZora Foundation.
2. We strongly encourage communication via letter/card/postcard/email.
- Letters/cards/postcards can be sent to:
hoshiZora Foundation Headquarter, Kalakijo, RT.04, Guwosari,Pajangan, Bantul, Yogyakarta, Indonesia 55751
- Email can be sent to email@example.com.
Please use the subject: [Letter to Adik Bintang]
3. Letters/cards/postcards should use language or pictures that are decent and respectful.
4. hoshiZora Foundation staff will review the content before delivering it to your Adik Bintang to ensure the appropriateness of the letter/card/postcard.
5. Phone calls and text messaging are not recommended due to the difficulty of monitoring and the cost that your Adik Bintang has to bear, although there are exceptions. It is mandatory that Kakak Bintang consult with hoshiZora before initiating telephone or text message contact with Adik Bintang.
6. When visiting or talking on the phone with your Adik Bintang, at least one staff of the hoshiZora Foundation must facilitate the interaction.
7. Unauthorized visits will not be allowed. Home visits for the first 6 months should be facilitated by hoshiZora Foundation staff. After 6 months of regular interactions (home visits or phone conversations) facilitated by hoshiZora Foundation, we can consider independent interaction with distance monitoring between you and your Adik Bintang.
8. Home visits or meeting up with your Adik Bintang should be arranged at least one week in advance so that we can make sure that the visit is fruitful.
9. During a home visit by either hoshiZora Foundation staff or Kakak Bintang, an Adik Bintang must not be alone with a Kakak Bintang away from the supervision of other responsible adults such as parents/guardians/family members.
10. The hoshiZora Foundation will not disclose the personal information of yours or your Adik Bintang to anybody else. We expect you to do the same to protect your Adik Bintang.
11. If you receive a request for money from your Adik Bintang via any form of communication (email, text message, phone call, letter, etc.) please contact hoshiZora immediately and do not grant his/her request. This is against the rules of hoshiZora, and we will follow up on it as soon as you contact us.
- Letters/cards/postcards can be sent to:
E. Donation Payment
- You can transfer your donation to the hoshiZora account monthly / every 6 months / for one year/ or over a customized period.
- Please transfer your funds before the 10th of the month.
- After sending your funds, please send a confirmation email to contact@hoshi-zora / SMS +6185325692713 / Blackberry Pin 320D35F7 so that we can immediately confirm your transaction.
- Please choose one of the options below for your donation payment:
Bank Rakyat Indonesia (BRI)
Name: Yayasan Bintang Langit
Account Number: 0236-01-000821-30-4
SWIFT Code: BRINIDJA
Name: Yayasan Bintang Langit
Account Number: 137-00-1014448-9
SWIFT Code: BMRIIDJA
Bank Central Asia (BCA)
on behalf of Ahmad Bukhori
Account Number: 037-275-6096
SWIFT Code: CENAIDJA
Bank Negara Indonesia (BNI)
on behalf of Ahmad Bukhori
Account Number: 020-850-7209
SWIFT Code: BNINIDJA
Oita Mirai Shinkin
on behalf of : Nida Khanza Nazihah
Branch: Kamegawa Beppu
Account Number : 1962-00621-9342654
to send cheque or direct deposit to US Bank please email:
US Government Registration as NPO
Registration number: 899785-98
F. HoshiZora ForumThe hoshiZora Forum is an event held twice a year to gather members of the hoshiZora Family including Adik Bintang, Kakak Bintang, volunteers, staff and other supporters (personal or corporate/organization) of the hoshiZora Foundation.
At this event, we offer fun educational activities for both children and adults. In previous years, the children have offered performances and we conducted open discussions for the children about reaching their dreams. We invited professionals from some specific fields (Engineering, Education, Astronomy), had cultural exchanges with visitors from Japan and enjoyed educational games together.
We have organized eleven hoshiZora Forums since the establishment of hoshiZora in 2006. Each Forum has brought more knowledge, fun, and indispensable learning opportunities to our Adik Bintang.
You are automatically invited to the event and to take part in your Adik Bintang’s growth process.
G. Questions, Suggestions, ComplaintsYour inquiries contribute to the growth of hoshiZora Foundation, and we welcome them via email, visit, or phone call. Please do not hesitate to share your review, question, suggestion, or complaint with us anytime.
1. Via email: firstname.lastname@example.org, in the subject, please identify your email:
- [Question] when the inquiry is regarding your Adik Bintang (donation payment, distribution, or donation timing, etc.)
- [Letter to Adik Bintang] when you are sending a letter to your Adik Bintang.
- [Suggestion] when you have suggestions for either our donation system, staff, or management of the hoshiZora Foundation.
- [Complaint] when you have complaints regarding our service.
2. Via phone call or direct visit
- Fill the Registration Form here,
- hoshiZora will send you an email to verify your identity. Fill in the data correctly,
- You will receive an Adik Bintang Profile as soon as posible when the database is ready,
- Transfer your donation to our Bank Account: BRI, BNI, BCA, Mandiri, SMBC, US Bank, or Paypal.
- About Us
- Vision and Mission
- The DreamTeam
- Adik Bintang (Sponsored Siblings)
- Kakak Bintang (Sponsor Siblings)
- hoshiZora Ambassador
- HoshiZora Forum
- Hoshizora Education Center (HEC)
- HoshiZora Tour & Travel
- Annual Report & Publication
- Bank Account
- Get Involved